Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sleepy me

So far the weirdest thing about being pregnant is that I don't feel different AT ALL. No morning sickness, no mood swings, no incessant peeing, no "just feeling" pregnant. My main symptom is that I'm tired -- make that exhausted -- almost all the time. I get sleepy at my desk in the middle of the day, I fall asleep on the couch around 9:30 every night and I wake up still tired.

That could have as much to do with being pregnant as with the fact that I've cut out caffeine cold-turkey. Or maybe it's because my baby is currently gaining 100 brain cells A MINUTE. Sure seems like that would zap some energy.

I'm still doing my same workouts (CrossFit three times a week, running two or three times a week) and can tell they take more out of me but I can still finish them fine. I asked my doctor about laying off the intensity of my workouts and he said it's totally fine to keep going at whatever level my body's already used to, so I'm going to stick with that for the foreseeable future.

This is a kind of an inconvenient time of year to have just found out I'm pregnant because it's cold and there are tons of holiday parties so normally I'd be drinking liberal amounts of coffee and wine. I don't mind giving them up, but I do feel like it will raise suspicions if anyone notices I'm drinking a lot of water and decaf coffee. If anyone calls me out it will be impossible to lie. I'm a terrible liar.

On the positive side, the holidays usually fly by, so my first trimester will be over before I know it (Christmas Eve).

No comments: