Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Making him/herself known

I've started feeling the baby move a lot more and it's feeling less like bubbles than like definite movements (I can't feel kicking yet). I have noticed I almost always feel the movements only on my left side -- can any of you more experienced moms or pregnant people tell me if that's normal?

Both times that the doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat it (the heartbeat) was on my right side, so maybe it's just that the baby's legs are on the left side and I'm feeling them kick. I guess that could be the explanation but I pictured the baby moving around a lot more than that, not staying in essentially the same position all this time.

Last night, or actually this morning, around 5 I woke up flat on my back and felt something poking out of the left side of my stomach. It was definitely solid and it felt like an elbow but I'm guessing it was a foot. It felt like you could have seen it poking out, but since the room was dark I don't know. I lay there for a while rubbing it, trying to get it to move so I'd know for sure it was the baby and not a tumor or something, but it just stayed there until I got up to use the bathroom.

When I got back in bed it was gone and I fell back asleep. Although I sometimes have very lifelike dreams and occasionally have even confused them with reality, I am about 95 percent sure this really happened. And Amanda assured me this morning that it was possible to feel that this early.

And speaking of dreams, I had a VERY vivid dream last night that the baby is a boy. For the record, I still think it's a girl -- but I know it's 50/50 and don't really put any stock in gut feelings (or dreams) about things like this.

1 comment:

Libba Lemon said...

Everyone under the sun was telling us we were having a boy but I kept having the most vivid dreams about a baby girl. I had 3 in one week, I think. People laughed at it, and my mom started praying that I wouldn't get attached to the idea of a girl...but I did. And sure enough, I was right!

PS-I do think your baby is a girl, however.